Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
FORUMS:listlist (w/ descriptions)archivetagssearchhall of famerecent posts

How to decide where to send resume/reel?

COW Forums : Art of the Edit

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Share on Facebook
Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

torchlightHow to decide where to send resume/reel?
by on Feb 7, 2004 at 12:10:31 pm

Hey y'all...

Another "foot-in-the-door" category question here - I got such great answers with my last question, that I felt there to be no better place to ask than here! I am currently working on polishing up a reel (adding some new stuff specifically for the reel along with some existing work). I am getting a website thrown together, as well as restructuring my resume. My intention is to find a paid position suitable for a person with my skills/experience level (foot-in-the-door). I would imagine I would be looking at internship or assistant level positions, although I would certainly want to be in a situation where hard work and demonstration of skills could possibly lead to a more permanent position. I'm approaching this as the beginning of my "climb up the ladder," so to speak.

I would imagine (although I certainly don't know) that mailing out unsolicited resumes and copies of my reel would probably be considered rude. I am currently located in Iowa, which is certainly not known for being a hotspot of the media industry. I would certainly be interested in relocating to a different locale. Being as such, I can't do a typical "local job search." I suppose I'll just be blunt and state my question as it was in the topic... What methods would you suggest for ferreting out which companies would be interested in recieving information about me?

Should I cold-call or e-mail every company I possibly can? hehe - Do firms in the busier areas often advertise their lower-level openings in papers or job listings? Do companies list those lower-level positions at all? Is there possibly a web-based resource for job postings in this industry?

Please forgive my lack of knowledge on this topic. I'm sure these questions have been asked before, although I was unable to find much by using the search function here. Knowing how to edit and composite is quite different from knowing how the business works. =)

I'd be pleased, and most appreciative, to hear any advice you may be able to offer. Thanks so much!

-Brad

Posts IndexRead Thread
Share on Facebook

Current Message Thread:

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]