Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
FORUMS:listlist (w/ descriptions)archivetagssearchhall of famerecent posts

Re: Breaking into freelancing - low paying jobs

COW Forums : Art of the Edit

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Share on Facebook
Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Mark SuszkoRe: Breaking into freelancing - low paying jobs
by on Jul 3, 2003 at 3:44:31 pm

If you can't get paid what it's worth, but want to do it, do it for free, but don't give it to them, make it a portfolio piece for yourself. You can always show it to them later, maybe it will generate a real contrac when they see what they COULD have had..... While looking for the big break, I suggest you practice what you can for some pro-bono charity clients. While you're not making money, you are being your own boss, picking the folks YOU want to help, you are stretching and refining your skills, devleoping a body of work to show, and when you deal with the charity clients, you build up a network of contacts that MAY lead to money later. That's more benefit than spending all your time losing money for one client that won't pay what the job is worth.

When I was between paying video gigs, I did volunteer free producer work on a kid's show for the local cable access station, just so my resume wouldn't have an obvious hole in it. It kept me working, kept me in contact with access to equipment and people in the business... I didn't make a point of saying I wasn't getting paid, mind you... but because money wasn't on the line, I was relatively free to do and try things I otherwise couldn't, what were they going to do, FIRE me?;-) Try keeping the same positive proactive attitude while your search for value continues.
It may also help to go try doing something really different for a while, seek out a new experience among people you've never met before... take a class in something that always kind of interested you. You will expand your list of contacts, which may lead to work. You may get your creative juices flowing in a brand new directon, which can give you an edge to you work that makes it distinctive and desirable. And you won't be as likely to get so depressed and single-minded about the career that people can manipulate you into bad deals.

Posts IndexRead Thread
Share on Facebook

Current Message Thread:

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]