Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
FORUMS:listlist (w/ descriptions)archivetagssearchhall of famerecent posts

Re: Getting to do something you have never done before.

COW Forums : Art of the Edit

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Share on Facebook
Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Rick KellerRe: Getting to do something you have never done before.
by on Jan 29, 2003 at 2:01:40 pm

Anyone that I have ever interviewed or hired gets a real world test. For an AV tech job, I would pile a bunch of equipment in a room and tell an applicant to hook it up to play a video in less than 10 minutes. It took about 5 seconds to see who was telling the truth on their resume and who was BSing.

One editing job I applied for out of college was interesting - The boss took my name and phone and threw my resume in the trash. He handed me several tapes, shoved me in a room with editing gear, and said, "Make me something to air. You have 30 minutes. The best tape gets the job." By the time I figured out how to make the first edit, time was up. I didn't get the job (if you were wondering!) If I had to do the same thing 15 years later, I would blow the guy away with what I can produce in 30 minutes.

The moral of the story is: People lie. Companies lie. Actions tell the truth. Don't BS people and set yourself up to be humiliated. Learn the trade and demonstrate your skills. It works.

Rick Keller
A-1 Productions

Posts IndexRead Thread
Share on Facebook

Current Message Thread:

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]