Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
BUSINESS AND MARKETING:Business and Marketing ForumBusiness and Marketing ArticlesBusiness and Marketing Podcasts

Re: Telling a client they're an idiot (while keeping them)

COW Forums : Business & Marketing

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Share on Facebook
Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Andy StintonRe: Telling a client they're an idiot (while keeping them)
by on May 18, 2002 at 2:31:40 pm

Andy ( great name ).

I have been in your position so often and have come to some real brutal conclusions.

I agree with Leo that it is useless to piss of the clients employees that you are stuck with. So charm them and work with them. Let them hang out to dry, when their output looks like crap the client will recognize it. I doubt he lives in a media vacuum.

I’m in the middle of a similar project that was all about money and his staff “helping me “ to save him money. I have used their script and voice over talent , I have used their pictures and artwork and I shot from their instructions.

I have just sent a draft out with gaps in it because they did not cover certain aspects of the product during shooting. More to the point I have fulfilled my contract and more.

Now after they have viewed it, they will be unhappy. The question is what will they do about it?

My position (as yours should be ) is the savior… the good guy, who will make it all better or……not. You cannot teach people taste and quality unless they have taste and high standards, so don’t go down that road to hell. Always remember that there are people that buy framed red velvet pictures of Elvis and hang them in their living room!!

You could lose a client ……..WRONG AND WRONG AGAIN. You don’t have the client to loose, otherwise he would have given you the chance to perform your duties unhindered.

You do not have his trust or respect which is not a recipe for a long term marriage. Also the presumption that a corporate client has the same agenda as you is a mistake, more often than not decidons are based on ass covering, budget restrictions and corporate politics rather than communicating the message.

Sorry to be so blunt, but I’ve learnt that I can’t change people, there attitudes and their agenda’s. I’ve also learnt that in business as in life there is a difference between a girl/boyfriend and a hooker. In business knowing which one you are at any given moment in time is paramount to your financial and mental well being !!!!

Andy

Posts IndexRead Thread
Share on Facebook

Current Message Thread:

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]