Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
HDV FORMAT:HDV Format ForumTutorialsApple FCP ForumAdobe Premiere Pro ForumSony Vegas Forum

Re: Lumiere PDF

COW Forums : HDV Format

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Share on Facebook
Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Steve MullenRe: Lumiere PDF
by on Mar 15, 2004 at 8:45:48 am

SPECULATION -- contrary to much speculation, I'm not expecting anything from Avid or Apple at NAB.

Two reasons:

1) I'm increasingly becoming convinced that a "native HDV" NLE solution is the way to go now that we will see dual G5 1.5HGz and 4GHz P4 solutions coming during 2004. These super powerful CPUs can decode multiple streams of HD MPEG-2 TS video in real-time.

Apple has told me directly that when they do HDV it will work as simply as DV does now. Any solution that forces you to convert all your source HDV to an "intermediate" codec that takes MORE disk space is not as easy as DV. On the other hand, Apple invented OfflineRT "proxy" video so I expect they may incorporate it to enable PowerBook editing just as they do with DV now.

Both Avid and Apple will have to add a great deal of advanced technology to get to a native MPEG-2 solution. Avid I'm definitely sure will not get it done by NAB as they hadn't started by mid-summer last year. And JVC's efforts to woo FCP solutions suggests they don't expect anything soon from Apple. (Even I hope I'm wrong!)

2) Avid and Apple are very likely to wait for "HDV2" from Sony and JVC -- before releasing an HDV product. I don't expect any shipment of "HDV2" until late 2003-early 2004 -- so Avid and Apple have 9 months more time. Time they likely need.

PC users will have several alternatives to Aspect HD at NAB. I missed the Adobe pre-NAB briefing so I don't know if they will add MPEG-2 capability. Ulead and Vegas should/will have "native solutions."

Steve Mullen
Digital Video Consulting
http://www.mindspring.com/~d-v-c
========
* GR-HD1 and JY-HD10 HDV Shooting Guide
* HDVcinema Pro -- realtime Edit HDV with FCP
* HDVcinema Partner -- Realtime HDV Editing with an Indie HD Toolkit

Posts IndexRead Thread
Share on Facebook

Current Message Thread:

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter