Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
FORUMS:listlist (w/ descriptions)archivetagssearchhall of famerecent posts

Re: The HDW-700a - Need to pay attention to what I'm typing

COW Forums : HD High-End

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Share on Facebook
Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Bart HarrisonRe: The HDW-700a - Need to pay attention to what I'm typing
by on Sep 10, 2003 at 12:59:19 am

Hi Leo,

[Leo Ticheli] "I believe the result is 540, not 1080p."

Actually after we extrapolate and replace the missing field information it's back to 1080p. We worked very hard on this and the results speak for themselves. I realize you love your VariCam and I'm certainly not knocking it, but if you saw the results of what we're doing you might be very surprised.

[Leo Ticheli] "The difference is particularly noticeable when you cut from sync speed to slow-motion. "

Good point ! We've never had an occasion to do that, but I'll try it just to see if it's noticible.

[Leo Ticheli] "The Sony 1080i camera makes nice interlaced pictures, but without the capability to shoot progressive, they will always look like video. "

I've never actually used Magic Bullet on HD material, but I've seen what it can do creating progressive material from NTSC. It's really quite amazing. I'd certainly recommend testing before committing to this particular path. But after seeing what MB can do I think it might be something to seriously consider, especially for somone who doesn't plan to do a lot of 24p work anyhow. You'd be surprised at how much 1080i work we do with the F900. Many clients ask for the "buzz word" 24p but then explain they want a lot a pans and zooms, fast/sweeping jib shots, that sort of thing. It's just not appropriate for 24p.

[Leo Ticheli] "That’s why only the Panasonic VariCam is a direct substitute for a film camera shooting from 1 to 60 progressive frames per second."

You're right, that's flexability. But even when working in film the number times we actually needed to shoot other than 24, 48, or 60 I can count on one hand. For us it's never been a major issue and what we need we can generate in post. By-the-way if you'd like to see it I'll be in Birmingham next week. I'd love to show it to you.

Bart

- - - - - - - - - - - - -
"Build `em right... support `em well... let our customers do the talking !"

Bart Harrison
Multimedia Programming America
The HD Suite

America's VAR
Apple, Shake, CineWave, AJA, & Rorke SAN
http://www.mpa.net

Posts IndexRead Thread
Share on Facebook

Current Message Thread: